TREASURE ISLAND TOWN CENTER
San Francisco, California
Treasure Island was the site of the 1939 Golden Gate International Exposition, briefly becoming the home of the Pan American “China Clipper,” and ultimately converted to a naval base until decommissioned by the US Navy in 1994. Accessed from the east and west by the Bay Bridge, Treasure Island is being transformed over the next 20 years as part of an ambitious transit-oriented redevelopment project to make it San Francisco’s newest neighborhood.
BCV Architects, in partnership with SOM, Perkins + Will, Mithun, CMG, and other design consultants, has developed an ecologically sensitive master plan with environmental sustainability in mind. More than sixty percent of the Island is reserved as open space, including a 20 acre functioning organic farm. The plan also locates approximately 10,000 residents within a 10-minute walk of a new Treasure Island Ferry Terminal, and creates approximately 200,000 sf of community and destination retail in a new Island Town Center which preserves and integrates three existing historic exhibition buildings with proposed new retail buildings.