Palo Alto, California
Maybeck House was built in 1899 for Emma Kellogg by Bernard Maybeck. The house is also frequently referred to as the Sunbonnet House due to the distinctive gambrel roof that cantilevers over the front porch.
The renovation to this historic property restored the original character of the house while updating it programmatically and structurally. The design restored important spaces like the "sunbonnet," open stairwell, wood-paneled living room and adjacent dining room to their original condition. New modifications, including a new lower level and below-grade patio and light well, remain sensitive to Maybeck's work from that period.