San Francisco, CA
Ghirardelli Square, considered the first successful adaptive reuse project in the country, has a history that spans more than a century. Between 1852 and 1895, Ghirardelli’s Chocolate Factory, established by Domenico Ghirardelli, was located at several different sites before the Ghirardelli Chocolate Company took over the Pioneer Woolen Mills on North Point Street. A San Francisco landmark, the 99,551 SF complex, comprised of 12 buildings across an entire city block, now houses specialty retail and dining and is a major destination due to its historical significance and proximity to the Bay, Fisherman’s Wharf, Fort Mason and other points of interest.
Working within the historic fabric of the existing buildings, BCV Architects and Jamestown are re-invigorating Ghirardelli Square and several of its long-vacant commercial spaces. BCV has composed feasibility reports that analyze programmatic, code, mechanical, structural, and historic viability of vacant spaces, and oversees a consultant team to assist in the development of project documentation. Current work includes permit drawings for SF Brewing Co., slated to be a 10 barrel brew pub going into the old Chocolate and Cocoa building at Ghirardelli. BCV also led the design of the Bluxome Street Winery location at the Square.
Other current tenants include Helpers Bazaar, Gigi + Rose, Lola of North Beach, Elizabethw, Le Marais Bakery, The Pub at Ghirardelli Square, Waxman’s Restaurant, and the Ghirardelli Chocolate Company flagship retail store.